The Legal Officer will closely work with the Company Secretary & Legal Counsel to ensure that the Bank materially complies with all legal, regulatory and procedural requirements in the effective Management of Legal Risk across the enterprise.
Summary of Key Responsibilities;
- Be the Bank’s chief draughts person and advise the Bank on the legality or lack thereof of bespoke agreements.
- Prepare the appropriate legal documents for trial or court proceedings.
- Evaluate new business partnerships with vendors and subcontractors.
- In the absence of Company Secretary & Legal Counsel, represent the company in legal proceedings.
- With the Company Secretary & Legal Counsel guide management on regulatory and compliance issues to ensure compliance with legal regulations.
- Interfacing with the Bank’s compliance function in ensuring effective implementation and operationalization of the Bank’s Compliance Universe.
- Interfacing with external lawyers to ensure effective management of debt recovery litigation.
- Closely work with the Company Secretary & Legal Counsel to design and oversee the Banks policy and position on legal matters
- Protect the Bank against legal risks and violations
- Reviewing customer collateral packs on a regular basis to maintain an appropriate level of credit risk.
- Recommending and making appropriate changes to workflows aimed at ensuring collateral is verified and perfected pre-disbursement and kept safe at all times.
- Assistant the Company Secretary & Legal Counsel in making yearly adjustments to process controls to improve debt recoverability by ensuring good collateral quality.
- Managing verification process of collateral to ensure documents held correspond with physical assets as described in the documents, including establishing relationships with surveyors and other verification agencies.
- Correct execution of facility letters, guarantees, contracts, agreements, charges, debentures, chattels mortgages, discharges and all security documents and legal documents related to the Banks business.
- Provide legal support in research on developments in law and maintenance of a legal Library for reference.
- Drafting and reviewing Contracts, Agreements on new products, security documents and other relevant documents issued
- Liaising with the Bank’s legal service providers and ensuring external legal activities and engagements are coordinated effectively.
- Vet and manage legal issues arising and provide legal opinions on the legal issues, risk and regulatory compliance.
Required Skills and Competencies
- Outstanding communication skills
- Excellent Interpersonal Skills
- Attention to detail
- Problem Solving Skills’
- Personal motivation and drive exhibited through a commitment to hard work, continuous improvement and achievement of goals.
- Ability to relate well with others and ability to learn.
- Ability to negotiate, establish and administer contracts.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently.
Primary Areas of Accountability:
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor of Laws Degree
- Post Legal Commercial Qualifications an added advantage
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of experience in the same or similar capacity in a Commercial Bank, Financial Institution or Telecoms Company
- Sh ould be an Advocate of the High Court and Supreme Court for Zambia with at least 3+ years at the bar.
- P roven experience in litigation as well as commercial/conveyancing experience in drafting contracts, reviewing security documents, leases, preparing litigation files and attending court on preliminary matters .
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Package (Word, Excel, Internet and Access.
- Ability to analyse problems and strategize for better solutions.
- Must be a member of LAZ
Note that, all communications will be kept in the strictest of confidence. If you do not receive communication within 21 day s of the closing date of the advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.
DO NOT SEND CERTIFICATES AT THIS STAGE
To apply for this job please visit bemconsult.com .