Under the guidance of the Deputy Resident Representative and direct supervision of the Human Resources Analyst, the HR Associate ensures execution of transparent and efficient HR services in CO. The HR Associate promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and supports to the maintenance of high staff morale.
The HR Associate can supervise clerical and support staff of the HR Unit. The HR Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and UNDP HQs staff for resolving complex HR-related issues and information exchange.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Administration and implementation of HR strategies and policies
- Provision of HR services
- Staff performance management and career development
- Conduct of UN-related surveys
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures administration and implementation of HR strategies and policies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of records and reports with UN rules, regulations, UNDP policies, procedures and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control framework.
- CO HR business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management, control of workloads of the supervised staff.
- Provision of information to the management and staff on strategies, rules and regulations.
- Provides HR services, focusing on achievement of the following results
- Implementation of recruitment processes including drafting job description, provision of input to job classification process, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates, participation in interview panels.
- Creation/update of positions in Atlas, association of positions to chart fields (COAs), update of COA information, setting up vendor, performing the functions of Admin.HR, Position Administrator and Absence Processor in Atlas. Preparation of contracts (fixed-term, SCs, internship) and entering job data in Atlas. Timely follow up with Finance staff or GSSU on global payroll issues.
- Input and tracking of all transactions related to positions, recruitment, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivities, recoveries, adjustments and separations through Atlas.
- Maintenance of the CO staffing table.
- Preparation of submissions to the local Compliance Review Panel (CRP) and corporate Compliance Review Board (CRB).
- Provision of information on benefits/entitlements to the International Staff and Experts.
- Maintenance of the rosters including e-rosters.
- Validation of cost-recovery charges in Atlas for HR services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
Ensures proper staff performance management and career development, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of background information and maintenance of the related data acting as Secretary of TMRG.
- Participation in preparation of Whole Office Learning plan and individual learning plans in consultation with the Senior Management, HR Analyst and Learning Manager.
- Monitoring status of annual performance planning, facilitation of performance appraisal processes and ensuring compliance with mandatory training.
- Ensures conduct of UN-related surveys, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collection of information and preparation of reports for comprehensive and interim local salary, hardship and place-to-place surveys. Participation in the work of LSSC.
- Support in the administration of the remuneration survey for Service Contract salary scales.
- Support the development and implementation of the Global Staff Survey action plan.
- Support the implementation of the Business Operations Strategy and Delivering as One initiatives.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of trainings for the operations/programmes/project personnel on HR issues.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in HR.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
Human Resource Management:
- Knowledge of HR management issues and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations
Learning & Development:
- Knowledge of enterprise learning and development issues, concepts, and principles, and ability to apply them to enhance the fulfilment and performance of employees
- Knowledge of recruiting issues, procedures, and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations to secure quality candidates
Required Skills and Experience:
- A secondary education (full Grade 12 certificate) with specialized certification in Human Resources Management/Development. A Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management/Development, Business or Public Administration or related field would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Additional studies in Library and Information Studies is an advantage.
- At least three (3) years of progressively responsible HR experience is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and proficiency in all MS Office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Prior United Nations system experience is an added advantage.
- Must be fluent in English. Knowledge of other official language of the UN will be desirable.
- Must be certified with the Zambia Institute of Human Resources Management (ZIHRM).
- Female candidates and persons living with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
- Applicant information about UNDP rosters:
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- Scam warning:
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: