Lumwana Mine, Kalumbila, Zambia.
Reporting to: Environmental Coordinator
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for experienced and qualified individuals to be considered for the position of Environmental Officer – Laboratory.
Reporting to the Environmental Coordinator, you will be responsible for overall operation of the Environmental Analytical laboratory and management of the Water Treatment plant (IX WTP) within the mine site to a standard that is compatible with international best practice and undertaken in a timely and cost-effective way. Your duties will include but are not limited to the following:
- Directing and scheduling all laboratory and water treatment plant staff activities.
- Develop, implement, and maintain the Laboratory Management plan
- Become familiar with Smart Analyzer Studio, Equis and SPM to meet and exceed site requirements of all areas of analysis.
- Expand the Environmental Analytical Laboratory to meet statutory requirements.
- Develop and review standard operating procedures for the laboratory and IX Water Treatment Plant
- Set up Quality Control procedures for the laboratory.
- Set daily/weekly/monthly standards for Laboratory productivity.
- Responsible for troubleshooting analytical instrumentation and analytical processes.
- Monitor sample TAT requirements and work with laboratory operations to meet reporting requirements.
- Conduct performance reviews for staff under your responsibility.
- Set up new equipment and provides method development as required.
- Implement ISO 17025:2015 and ensure laboratory Certification.
- Ensure alignment with the Barrick Environmental Standards (Water Management and Conservation and Incident Reporting and Investigations
- Prepare weekly, month and Annual reports for the laboratory and uploading results in Equis.
Experience & Qualifications
- Degree in Chemical/Environmental Engineering or BS in Chemistry from a recognized University
- A minimum of at least 5 years post qualification experience in the environmental testing laboratory setting and three years as a supervisor.
- Be self-motivated and able to work independently and have ability to perform instrument maintenance and troubleshoot problems.
- Working knowledge of ISO 14001 Environmental management System/ ISO 17025:2015/ISO 9001:2015.
- Understand quality assurance/quality control as it pertains to the Laboratory.
- Strong understanding of various laboratory methods and procedures
- Detailed knowledge of HSE Systems and promotes a culture of safety and productivity and loss prevention.
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: