Deadline of this Job:
07 June 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Over the period 2016-17, AfDB led the process of preparing the second phase of the Strategy for the Harmonization of Statistics in Africa (SHaSA-2) to cover the period 2017-2026. The SHaSA.2 was approved by the AU Heads of State Summit in January 2018 (Annex 4 in the Technical Annexes). The strategy is intended to provide the statistical base for the African integration agenda espoused by the AU Heads of State & Government.
The Bank was tasked by the AU Heads of State & Government to spearhead the mobilisation of financial resources to implement the SHaSA.2. The proposed Statistical Capacity Building Program phase 5 (SCB-5) therefore represents the Bank’s contribution to the implementation of the SHaSA-2, consequently bringing the aspirations of the African leadership to bear.
The proposed SCB program is the fifth (SCB-5) since 2002 and is anchored on many years of accumulated practical experience and incremental value addition to the African Statistical System. The SCB aims to build an efficient African statistical system that generates reliable, harmonized and timely statistical information covering political, economic, social, environmental, climate and cultural development dimensions to support the African integration agenda.
Successful regional integration requires accurate, reliable, timely, harmonized and comparable data within and across (RECs) to support policy, planning, monitoring and evaluation. This is consistent with the Abuja Treaty of 1991, which provided for the establishment of the Economic Community endowed with a single currency. The RECs constitute the cornerstones of the integration agenda and therefore need to build commensurate statistical capacity over time to facilitate the process towards full integration. The proposed program seeks to respond to this need and advance the process.
To this end, COMESA has been selected to be the implementing agency for the SCB V program. The direct beneficiaries from the project are the National Statistical Systems (NSSs) across Africa, all the Regional Economic Communities (RECs), the Sub-regional Organizations (SROs), Statistical Training Centers (STCs) and AFRISTAT. Other indirect beneficiaries are all the people of Africa, who will benefit from improved statistical capacity and resultant reliable and timely statistics. The benefits transcend national boundaries as they will have regional and global impacts, since statistics is a global public good.
In order to spport the efficient functioning of the SCB V, a number of experts are required to fill positions in the program implementation unit.
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Programme: Statistical Capacity Building Program Phase 5
Duty Station: Lusaka, Zambia
Contract Duration: Two (2) Years.
Remuneration: Usd 2,200 All Inclusive Monthly
Reporting to: SCB Project Coordinator.
Scope of Work:
The Administrative Assistant will provide administrative support to ensure efficient operation of the Statistics Unit. The administration assistant will support the Statistics Unit through a variety of administrative and Secretarial tasks.
Specific Tasks/Key Responsibilities
• Provide administrative support to ensure efficient operation of the SCB V Program office.
• Answer phone calls, schedule meetings and support visitors.
• Carry out administrative duties such as filing, typing, copying, binding, scanning etc.
• Attend staff meetings and Support team in preparing minutes and reports.
• Assist in overseeing the budget for routine or special events
• Assist in planning and overseeing special events
• Make meeting and travel arrangements for the Statistics Unit; such as booking flights, cars, and hotel or reservations.
• Exhibit polite and professional communication via phone, e-mail, and mail.
• Support the unit by performing tasks related to organization and strong communication.
• Ensure operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements, calling for repairs, maintaining equipment inventories and evaluating new equipment and techniques.
• Provide information by answering questions and requests related to the SCB V.
• Maintain supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level, anticipating needed supplies, placing and expediting orders for supplies.
• Any other related duties that may be assigned by the Superiors from time to time.
The candidates must possess a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or Public Administration or related Business field.
Skills and Experience
• Minimum five (5) years of administrative assistant experience
• Experience in a project related environment
• Experience in regional organization will be added advantage
• Knowledge of appropriate software such as: Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Microsoft PowerPoint
• Managing Processes
• Supply Management
• Inventory Control
• Verbal and written Communication
Working Language Requirements
• The working language shall be English therefore, applicants must be fluent in both spoken and written English
• A combination of knowledge and use of English with either French or Arabic will be an added advantage
Eligibility for Application
• Applicants for the General Service position of Administrative Assistant must be resident in Zambia.
• Citizens of COMESA Member States are encouraged to apply.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Applications MUST be submitted electronically through email on the prescribed COMESA APPLICATION FORM which can be accessed at the following COMESA website: http://www.comesa.int/ , Opportunities, COMESA Job Application Format.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications with the project job title in the subject line should reach the address below not later than 7th June 2021 16:00 hours Lusaka, Zambia time.
Head of Procurement
Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa
Ben Bella Road,
P.O Box 30051,
Email: [email protected]