Plan and coordinate field and plant production activities of pre-commercial and foundation seed with seed growers and plant operations, in order to meet the seed availability and quality standards required. Coordinate the harvesting, processing, and sampling of foundation seed for both internal laboratories and government laboratories. Ensures the responsible use of human resources, equipment, and materials.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Responsible for all activities related to the delivery of high quality foundation seed in Zambia. This includes but not limited to pre-plant control, Planting, rouging (off type removal), harvest moisture control and field sampling, harvesting, seed processing and bagging.
- Liaise with the Zambia foundation seed manager to do foundation seed production planning, grower contracting, planting, detasseling, harvesting processes, other activities that includes, fertilizing, weed, insect, irrigation control for foundation seed inbred increases, single cross make-ups and pre-commercial seed productions.
- Liaise with seed certifying agents and ensure compliance of all seed productions to the certifying agencies
- Evaluate grower success and do grower selection, contracting and crop allocations as well as annual field reviews.
- Coordination with seed growers to ensure a smooth transition and flow of product from field to plant and ensuring that plant quality guidelines are adhered to during shelling and seed processing.
- Coordinate and execute activities related to foundation seed inventory management such as seed receipt in SAP, coordination of process order creation during processing and participation in stock counts while ensuring appropriate record keeping of inventory movement and signed off.
- Lead ESH efforts, provide assistance and arrange for resources to promote safety/human rights in field operations.
- To implement, coordinate and functionalize QMS (ISO 9001) systems in the field operations through maintaining field/Plant operational records as required by the QMS management systems and timely capturing in the Velocity/SAP digital platform, to manage productions/processing effectively.
- Ensure compliance with quality assurance standards and management system set by ISO9001.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Minimum of a bachelor degree in agronomy.
- At least 6 years experience in crop production. Experience growing seeds is preferred.
- Fluent in English.
- Microsoft Office software (Excel, E-mail, Word, Project etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Results focused with ability to work on own initiative.
- Strong teamwork capability (flexibility to work across the areas and positively influencing others).
- Knowledge of seed production.
- Gazzetted Seed inspector/Sampler is an added advantage.
- Have a valid drivers license.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com .