Field Operations and Logistics Manager – Mineral Exploration
Jobs at:Rio Tinto
Deadline of this Job:
02 November 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
About the Role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
Rio Tinto Exploration Zambia Ltd has significant portfolio of mineral exploration tenure in Zambia and we are now seeking for a person with experience in field operations and logistics management to join our growing team. Come and join the global Rio Tinto family!
This Challenging Position Offers:
• An important and central role in a growing team as part of a leading and diversified global organization
• An opportunity to influence planning and execution of exploration campaigns
• Operational support as required from an expert exploration group
• This is a field-oriented role, which requires significant time working at project locations around Zambia. We offer the right person excellent opportunities for training and career development. Reporting to the Project Manager, you will:
• Assist and participate in decision making that enables planning and execution of field campaigns in a safe and efficient manner, which is compliant with regulations
• Manage field operations related tasks according to relevant Rio Tinto processes, including field camp design, contract management for drilling and other service providers, budgeting and work estimates, scheduling and logistics, acquisitions and supply chain management
• Manage the operations and logistics team as well as contractors ensuring that they comply both with Rio Tinto’s internal as well as locally legislated requirements for workplace safety
• Manage the reporting and recommendations associated with field operations
You will work as a key member in a team of technical experts and we expect that you understand technical requirements of this team and translate them into relevant contracts (drilling, geophysics and other exploration activities) as well as required supporting operations. In addition, we expect that you develop and maintain expert networks which provide the best possible support for exploration activities. You will also be an adviser and trainer assisting in the development of the team.
What You’ll Bring
• A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
• Background and/or expert level knowledge in remote logistics operations. Competence in field operations planning and related risk management would be beneficial.
• Minimum of 7-10 years of experience working in operational support, contractor management and outdoor operations
• Hands on skills and technical knowledge and experience which enable you to manage a variety of equipment required in field operations.
• Experience in mining exploration is not essential but would be highly beneficial
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills. This role requires fluency in English.
• Strong IT skills including proficiency in MS Office.
• Strong project management skills, including management of service providers, and the ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
• Uncompromising priority for safety and desire to work in an organisation where safety, collaboration, mutual respect, integrity and excellence are valued
• Ability and desire to spend extended periods of time in the field in Zambia and travel internationally as required. Experience working in difficult and/or remote areas would be well regarded.
Rio Tinto Exploration Zambia is a subsidiary of the globally operating company Rio Tinto. Rio Tinto Global Exploration have active operations on four continents (Americas, Australasia, Africa-Europe and Eurasia) and aims to create value by finding and acquiring new mineral resources, such as bauxite, copper, iron ore, nickel.
Rio Tinto Exploration Zambia currently has a number of early-stage Cu exploration projects around Finland.
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of anything else that makes us different.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Job application procedure
Apply now if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change.
Please click here to apply.