Deadline of this Job:
07 June 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Over the period 2016-17, AfDB led the process of preparing the second phase of the Strategy for the Harmonization of Statistics in Africa (SHaSA-2) to cover the period 2017-2026. The SHaSA.2 was approved by the AU Heads of State Summit in January 2018 (Annex 4 in the Technical Annexes). The strategy is intended to provide the statistical base for the African integration agenda espoused by the AU Heads of State & Government.
The Bank was tasked by the AU Heads of State & Government to spearhead the mobilisation of financial resources to implement the SHaSA.2. The proposed Statistical Capacity Building Program phase 5 (SCB-5) therefore represents the Bank’s contribution to the implementation of the SHaSA-2, consequently bringing the aspirations of the African leadership to bear.
The proposed SCB program is the fifth (SCB-5) since 2002 and is anchored on many years of accumulated practical experience and incremental value addition to the African Statistical System. The SCB aims to build an efficient African statistical system that generates reliable, harmonized and timely statistical information covering political, economic, social, environmental, climate and cultural development dimensions to support the African integration agenda.
Successful regional integration requires accurate, reliable, timely, harmonized and comparable data within and across (RECs) to support policy, planning, monitoring and evaluation. This is consistent with the Abuja Treaty of 1991, which provided for the establishment of the Economic Community endowed with a single currency. The RECs constitute the cornerstones of the integration agenda and therefore need to build commensurate statistical capacity over time to facilitate the process towards full integration. The proposed program seeks to respond to this need and advance the process.
To this end, COMESA has been selected to be the implementing agency for the SCB V program. The direct beneficiaries from the project are the National Statistical Systems (NSSs) across Africa, all the Regional Economic Communities (RECs), the Sub-regional Organizations (SROs), Statistical Training Centers (STCs) and AFRISTAT. Other indirect beneficiaries are all the people of Africa, who will benefit from improved statistical capacity and resultant reliable and timely statistics. The benefits transcend national boundaries as they will have regional and global impacts, since statistics is a global public good.
In order to spport the efficient functioning of the SCB V, a number of experts are required to fill positions in the program implementation unit.
Job Title: Accounts Assistant
Programme: Statistical Capacity Building Program Phase 5
Duty Station: Lusaka, Zambia
Contract Duration: Two (2) Years.
Remuneration: Usd 3,500 All Inclusive Monthly
Reporting To: Director Budget And Finance Division.
Scope of Work:
The Accounts Assistant will provide accounting support to ensure efficient operation of the Statistics Capacity Building Program under the direct supervision of the Project Accountant and overall supervision of the Director Budget and Finance, the Accounts Assistant will be required to provide financial and accounting services relating to processing and recording of financial transactions and financial reporting.
Specific Tasks/Key Responsibilities:
• Ensure expenditure and payment packs comply with requirements; valid supporting documents, authorizing and signing mandates reflect on documents in line with institutional approvals.
• Apply general ledger and reporting analysis codes in capturing and recording of financial transactions.
• Compilation of costing, supporting expenditure estimates, outstanding commitments and contracts.
• Communicate status regarding unspent / available budget and funds.
• Handle imprest – processing of expenditure imprest, follow ups on imprests and facilitating retirement of imprest.
• Be aware of applicable grant management requirements.
• Update assets and inventory of the grant; with receipts, disposals and other movements.
• Tag all grant assets and inventory.
• Reconcile fixed assets register to the general ledger.
• Compile bank and fund reconciliations.
• Update payroll expenditure.
• Maintain financial records by ensuring all documents supporting receipts and payments are matched.
• Filing of financial records.
• Carry out follow-ups for receiveable and payables.
• Support the Project Accountant in compilation and provision of information and schedules towards: preparation of monthly management accounts, budget spending reports, cashflow projections, annual accounts and managing significant risks in financial control and accounting.
• Support Project Accountant in compilation and provision of information and schedules to facilitate audits and reviews.
• Support Project Accountant in implementation of control findings.
• Perform other job-related duties as directed by Division Head to achieve COMESA mandate.
• Minimum Academic Qualifications: Bachelor;s in Accounting or Finance
• Professional Certifications/Qualifications: Minimum level 2 CIMA/ACCA / ZICA or any other Professional Accountancy Body
Skills and Experience
• Specialized Knowledge: Knowledge of any ERP
• Minimum Experience: Minimum 3 years relevant work experience in similar position
Working Language Requirements
• The working language shall be English therefore, applicants must be fluent in both spoken and written English
• A combination of knowledge and use of English with either French or Arabic will be an added advantage
Eligibility for Application
• Applicants for the General Service position of Accounts Assistant, must be resident in Zambia.
• Citizens of COMESA Member States are encouraged to apply.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Applications MUST be submitted electronically through email on the prescribed COMESA APPLICATION FORM which can be accessed at the following COMESA website: http://www.comesa.int/ , Opportunities, COMESA Job Application Format.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications with the project job title in the subject line should reach the address below not later than 7th June 2021 16:00 hours Lusaka, Zambia time.
Head of Procurement
Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa
Ben Bella Road,
P.O Box 30051,
Email: [email protected]