Senior Manager, Carbon
Deadline of this Job:
31 July 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job Title: Senior Manager, Carbon
Department: Commercial Sales
Reporting Line: Zambia Head of Commercial and Marketing
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
• BCP is a leading African forest carbon company that seeks to sustainably finance wildlife and habitat conservation through the forest carbon markets. We are working with Community and Government partners to help improve the conservation management of over 1 million hectares of globally significant wildlife habitats in Zambia, and to benefit 225,000 people.
• BCP is recruiting for a Senior Manager, Carbon to guide BCP into a new phase of project development, conservation technology developments, and impact monitoring. The primary responsibility of the Senior Manager is to achieve VCS and CCB verifications, conduct pre-viability studies, oversee impact monitoring, oversee geospatial technology, data management, and IT, and keep BCP at the forefront of REDD+ methodological developments in Zambia and beyond. The position oversees teams dealing with remote sensing and GIS, forest monitoring, and impact monitoring. The position requires advanced remote sensing and GIS skills, as well as skills in data management, conducting fieldwork in rural Africa, advanced spreadsheet skills, excellent English writing skills, knowledge of REDD+ project methodologies. The position is based in Lusaka, Zambia. The main tasks will be managing verification processes, managing consultants and field teams, managing BCP’s database development, data systems, and managing teams. This role has the exciting opportunity to lead BCP’s digital technology strategy. The position will require some travel to rural areas, mainly in Africa. The candidate is expected to be a manager, solid team player, with a growth and coaching mindset.
STUFF WE’LL TRUST YOU WITH:
• Pre-viability analyses of potential new REDD+ project areas,
• Manage successful VCS and CCB verifications, including PD writing. Flawless English writing technical skills needed.
• RS/GIS: Advanced geo-spatial skills, ability to apply these skills to REDD+ methodologies, advanced spreadsheet management, and data management skills.
• Manage the plot sampling process to produce carbon inventory estimates,
• Managing dispersed teams.
• Train in carbon standards and ensuring project design follows standards and laws.
• Provide technical inputs to policy programs to help build the REDD+ framework in Africa.
• Lead BCP’s consulting service.
• Oversee BCP’s impact monitoring team, data management, and reporting of impact.
• Oversee biodiversity monitoring data collection.
PROBLEM SOLVERS WANTED:
• Masters or PhD and 2 years professional experience.
• Advanced scientific report writing.
• Knowledge of GHG mitigation Standards preferred: VCS REDD+ methodologies, the VCS standards and guidelines in general as well as other applicable UNFCCC guidelines such as the IPCC guidelines as well as relevant components of the CCB Standard.
• Project Management, people management, and leadership skills.
STUFF YOU’LL TELL PEOPLE AT PARTIES:
• BCP is one of the leading REDD+ project development social enterprises in Africa. BCP’s mission is making conservation of wildlife habitat valuable to people. BCP runs two REDD+ projects in Zambia: The Lower Zambezi REDD+ Project and the Luangwa Community Forests Project. The Luangwa project is Africa’s largest REDD+ project by hectarage. The Lower Zambezi REDD+ Project is one of the world’s only 8 times VCS-verified projects, and the first triple gold CCB verified REDD+ project in Africa. As the top 0.5% highest scoring B Corp in the world, BCP benefits 225,000 people across 13 Chiefdoms. Our vision is community partnerships conserving Africa’s last strongholds starting. In operation for 9 years, we work in over 1 million hectares of globally important wildlife habitats in Zambia.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Job Application Procedure
please send a CV, a cover letter, and anything else that makes your application stand out by email to [email protected] with Senior Manager, Carbon in the subject line. Please also send 3 reference contacts, a publication list, and anything else that will help your application stand out.