Intern - Youth Skills and Business Development
Deadline of this Job:
23 June 2021
Within Zambia , Katete, Kasama and Mazabuka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization, working in Energy, Agriculture and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term local presence in more than 27 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organizations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services. We support people to access and develop the capabilities, services and opportunities needed to live a healthy, productive and fulfilling life, while sustainably using the natural resources they depend on. More specifically, our work includes advisory services, evidence-based advocacy and implementation at scale.
The Netherlands Development Organization (SNV) is an international not-for-profit development organization that believes in contributing to poverty alleviation in Zambia through various programs/projects that it implements. There is great opportunity by all people to pursue their own sustainable development and SNV is working with different groups in pursuant of the same. SNV provides services in Agriculture, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, and Renewable Energy. The recipients of these services include governmental institutions, non-governmental organizations and private sector organizations, communities, and individual households.
Place of Internship – 3 (Katete, Kasama and Mazabuka)
Duration of Internship –6 months
SNV is implementing a multi-country Opportunities for Youth Employment (OYE) Project funded by SDC and other donors. The OYE approach is a market-based method to sustainably increase youth (self) employment. The OYE model is distinguished from regular/traditional approaches – it goes beyond skills training, including market matching and mentoring into (self-) employment and enterprise development. It aims to achieve access to direct employment and business opportunities in climate smart agriculture and renewable energy sectors.
Overview and Purpose of the Internship
The Youth Skills and Business Development Intern will support the process or pathway of young people engaged by the project transitioning to (self-) employment and entrepreneurship. This support will (initially) be mainly exist of tracking, monitoring and verification of youth progress. This entails the quality and actual delivery of soft employability skills (mainly through local service providers contracted by SNV OYE) technical skills (as much as possible acquired in a work environment e.g. on-the-job or apprenticeships), as well as with regard to the engagement of OYE youth with private sector companies and local markets.
The internship in OYE is also providing learning opportunities for candidates who are interested in youth empowerment and ways of improving youth inclusion notably in private sector companies and financial institutions (Banks, Microfinance institutions, etc). He/she supports the OYE project in the context of the sectors of Agriculture, and Renewable Energy. Including identification of opportunities for youth self-employment and entrepreneurship
• (Secretarial) Organizing meetings with private sector companies and Financial Institutions (aimed at promotion of youth inclusion)
• Convening (or facilitating/secretarial) stakeholder meetings including local government, and training providers (aimed at youth empowerment)
• Monitor and verify youth skills training by service providers, training institutions and private actors with focus on youth employment (formal, informal and self-employment), training curriculum review and adaptation of the curriculum through documenting experiences and recommendations from stakeholders
• Support the documentation, sharing and dissemination of project learning and results
• A degree in Development Studies, Entrepreneurship, Agriculture Business or other related qualification.
• Strong practical and theoretical experience in youth skill development
• Entrepreneurship and business development experience
• Experience in engaging in vocational training institutions, knowledge institutions and youth hubs
• Experience in youth related programming
• Fluent in English and local languages.
• Strong computer skills
• Willingness to learn
• Has interest in youth empowerment programs with a focus on agriculture, energy and WASHE
• Proactive personality and strong leadership capabilities
• Sociable individual to accommodate youth
• Good communicator who is a critical thinker and has a strong personality
• Strong interpersonal skills
• A good team player
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• SNV WILL NOT offer employment after the completion of the internship.
• Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please click here to apply.