- Company: TechnoServe Zambia Limited
- Location: Zambia
- State: Zambia
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
Job Title: Gender Specialist Reporting to: Project Director Location: Lusaka Travel: throughout Zambia
I. Project Background
In partnership with the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), TechnoServe is preparing for a 3-year Food Enterprises for a Developed Zambia (FED) Programme. The programme aims to improve the efficiency, profitability and growth of food processing SMEs and contribute to a stronger and more inclusive sector in the country.
II. Position Description
The Gender Specialist’s main objective will be to provide technical support to Food Enterprises for a Developed Zambia (FED) Programme to ensure a more inclusive SME food processing sector that increases resilience and economic and nutritional benefits for the base of the pyramid (BoP), particularly women and youth. This position will work with programme staff to ensure that gender considerations are fully integrated into the programme design, including staffing, participant recruitment, programme activities and M&E. The Gender Specialist will play a key role in ensuring that the programme meets the gender-specific targets, including that the share of women clients benefitting from the project reaches 40%. To this end, the position’s responsibilities and job functions include but are not limited to the following:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical oversight and short-term technical assistance to a portfolio of activities within the FED program
- Identify, develop, and support deployment of gender sensitive activities to meet the needs of food processors
- Support the development and adoption of gender analysis tools which assist with the design and implementation of activities and continuously improve technical excellence and impact in the area of food processing
- Conduct assessments and facilitate meetings with key stakeholders and clients to identify measures to improve inclusiveness, especially for women and youth, within the project scope
- Build local capacity for gender integration, and facilitate gender-related training, to improve the role of women as decision-makers, implementers, and leaders in businesses
- Provide strategic guidance and counsel to Program Director and other staff on gender integration approaches, priorities and compatibility with program aims and resource constraints
- Contribute knowledge and best practice resources in support of effective and consistent gender integration across the FED Program
- Develop and support the development of key knowledge products (e.g., case studies, lessons-learned documents, etc.) that facilitate program development, program implementation, internal knowledge sharing and the influencing agenda
- Support the reporting process with clear data, deliverables and outcomes, especially to ensure that 40% target of women is reached
Skills and Experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience plus an advanced degree in development economics, sociology, anthropology, gender or another discipline related to economic or agricultural development preferred
- Experience developing, designing, executing and monitoring agriculture, entrepreneurship, or gender-related programs.
- Demonstrable experience implementing pragmatic, practical and cost-effective gender approaches in the agricultural context. Must be able to work across teams to influence behavior and build capacity.
- Ability to work both persuasively and diplomatically in a team-based environment with a high degree of complexity and ambiguity.
- Ability to communicate complex gender issues with clarity, precision and prioritization is a must.
- Experience developing, managing and implementing projects, including partnering with teams on the definition of objectives and deliverables and monitoring and evaluation of results.
- Demonstrated success in leadership roles developing and managing development organizations, programs or initiatives requiring a combination of strong analytical, writing, social and management skills.
- A deep, demonstrable commitment to gender equality and women’s economic empowerment.
- High standards of personal integrity and a flexible, laid back personality with an excellent sense of humor required.