Deputy Project Manager - INCREASE
Deadline of this Job:
15 June 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization, working in Energy, Agriculture and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term local presence in more than 27 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organizations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services. We support people to access and develop the capabilities, services and opportunities needed to live a healthy, productive and fulfilling life, while sustainably using the natural resources they depend on. More specifically, our work includes advisory services, evidence-based advocacy and implementation at scale.
The INCREASE Project
The Increasing Climate Resilience in Energy & Agriculture Systems and Entrepreneurship started in January 2020 and is to be implemented to 31st December 2022. It covers Eastern, Central, Copperbelt, Lusaka and Southern provinces, initially targeting to reach 11,300 smallholder farmers in cotton, dairy, and horticulture value chains. The project aims at increasing the social, economic, environmental and climate resilience and equity in agriculture and energy systems, through strengthening the adaptive capacity of agricultural and energy systems.
The INCREASE project will be implemented under the following three key outcomes
• Improvement of the income, food and energy security for men, women, and youth farmers.
• Increased business performance of the cotton, dairy, and horticulture value chains through Climate Smart (CS) investments in agriculture, water, and Renewable Energy (RE).
• Improved performance of the enabling environment for identifying, developing, and scaling of markets for Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA), water and RE practices (including opportunities for youth employment [OYE]).
Purpose of the job
The Deputy Project Manager is part of an SNV Country Organisation. The Deputy Project Manager supports the Project Manager to ensure the smooth implementation of the Project.
The Deputy Project Manager assists the Project Manager to lead and manage the planning, inception, implementation, closing and the workforce of the project, within scope, budget, timeline, and acceptable quality levels along the commitments specified in the contracts signed with the donor(s) and other relevant stakeholders. The Deputy Project Manager works in line with SNV standards, SNV`s approach to project management and donor regulations, in order to achieve high quality and achieve the agreed results and deliverables of the project.
1. Project set-up and design
• Initiates contract handover from the Business Development Team. Sets up and communicates administrative, governance, accounting, HR, M&E structures and procedures for the project. Initiates implementation of the project plan upon approval of donor(s) and sector leader and/or country director, in accordance to the SNV project management procedures, relevant SNV structures and procedures, accounting principles, donor requirements and contracted commitments.
2. Project Management
• Assists the Project Manager to leads, manage and motivates the project team, partners and relevant stakeholders. Plans and assigns deliverables and activities, reviews their progress and addresses deviations in terms of timelines and quality, based on project planning, deliverables agreed and budget set. Manages project closure and evaluation process including hand-over of complete and up-to-date project file to Sector Leader, Country Director and Business Development unit based on project management procedures.
3. Project quality assurance
• Takes responsibility for the (technical) content of a project, ensures quality of the deliverables and ensures sufficient technical input to meet the quality standards.
4. Contract Management & Project Accounting
• Assists the Project Manager to manage and account for full compliance of administrative, finance and HR components of the project with SNV internal procedures and requirements specified in the donor-, sub-grant-, sub-consultancy-, partner-, consortium- and Local Capacity Builders contracts.
• Ensures that approval for, coding and booking of all expenditures is done according to the relevant procedures and authorisation levels. Prepares, accounts for, manages and reports on project budget (and revisions thereof). Discusses and obtains approval of donor for contract / budget deviations. Ensures security and (financial risk) mitigation (incl. due diligence). Fully understands procurement and comply with requirements and contracts.
5. People Management & Team Leadership
• Guides, develops, coaches and motivates team members and prepares resource estimation based on forecast in order to attract and recruit (SNV staff, consultants and/or Local Capacity Builders).
• Advises HR and country management on contract conditions for consultants and Local Capacity Builders, within guidelines and project budget
6. Business development
• Builds and maintains effective relationships, with team, external partners and the donor(s) by ensuring a high level of SNV visibility and branding. Signals and acts on potential for positioning, innovation, upscaling and potential follow up on projects. Timely recognises and analyses threats and makes sure relevant colleagues are informed. .
7. Analysis & Reporting
• Ensures collection, consolidation and review of project information, according to SNV’s monitoring and evaluation guidelines. Analyses and provides advice to management how to incorporate the new insights/best practices into the organisation’s policies and practices
• Contributes to internal and external knowledge development, by full documentation and sharing of project insights and results. Develops knowledge by attending workshops and conferences. Ensures lessons learned are shared and applied in daily practice. When applicable can be appointed as (national) focal point of an expertise network.
• (Proficiency level equivalent to) Master’s degree in relevant discipline and (minimum 5 years) relevant experience in development work, project management and sector(s) in an international, multiple country context.
• Planning and organising
• Problem analysis
• Result orientation
• Focus on quality
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Please click here to apply.