Call For Expression Of Interest
Consultancy to develop and Ecological Business Plan under the Smart Forest Zambia
“Luangwa game and Forest reserve project” funded by Prospero Zambia
Contract duration: 40 days between March and May 2021
Duty station: Lusaka
Smart Forest Zambia Limited is seeking Expressions of Interest (EOIs) from qualified individuals to
develop an Ecological Business Plan for evaluation of the “Smart Forest Luangwa Game and
Forest Reserve Management Project” under a Prospero Zambia funded grant. The candidates
should not have been involved in the design or implementation of the Smart Forest activities being assessed by the evaluation and will be required to sign a conflict of interest declaration.
Smart Forest Zambia Limited (SFZL) is a Zambian owned enterprise incorporated for the sole
aim of practicing sustainable forestry and game ranching practices and eco-tourism with the
participation of surrounding local communities. Smart Forest Zambia Limited envisages an
environment where forest and game reserve activities complement commercial ranching and
eco-tourism much for the benefit of local communities.
Smart Forest Zambia has qualified for a grant from Prospero Zambia for the establishment of a
game and forest reserve and as such seeks expertise in the three main pillars of the project
- Component 1. Development of a game and forest reserve business plan
- Component 2. Conduct and develop an Ecological study of the proposed reserve
- Component 3. Develop a community engagement model and participation exercise.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- The Team Leader/Team Member will contribute to the evaluation for his/her area of
- specialization. His/her mandate will be derived from and must fully comply with the overall
- Terms of Reference for the Evaluation.
- Candidates should meet the following requirements
- Desired team members profile
The Evaluation Team will be comprised of 2 to 3 experts with an appropriate balance of
experience and expertise in two or more of the following areas:
- Determination of potential for sustainable game ranching.
- Determination of potential for intensive game farming.
- Determination of potential for nature-based tourism.
- Preparation of practical management plans,
- Business Strategy
- Financial Accounts with 10-year forecasting
- Develop sustainable business model
- Sourcing and capture of wild game for ranching in a balanced sustainable eco
- Establishment of a game monitoring system for keeping track of animal numbers.
- j) Determination of annual game removals based on the monitoring results.
- Annual review of the entire operation in terms of the objectives set in the
- management plan.
- Preparation of annual review statements for the operation
- Design of tourism infrastructure like cultural village, picnic sites, trail huts, trails, and
- Design of infrastructure for game management such as fences, holding pens, passive
- capture systems, feeding sites, water supply and parasite control.
- Game ranch wildlife management information systems for effective tracking and
- monitoring of reserve wildlife stock
- Design and management of road construction and maintenance.
- Preparation of fire management guidelines
- Solid Expertise in two or more subject matters and areas as highlighted above:
- Experience of large and complex partnership programmes,
- Experience on a t least 3 similar assignments
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken
- Excellent writing skills.
- Postgraduate degree in relevant disciplines (stated above)
- At least 8 years of professional experience in the areas of evaluation
- Previous experience with coordination of and cross-linkages of grant funded projects at
- regional and national level.
- Working experience with the Department of National Parks and Wildlife
- Review of all the activity processes and development of a new game ranch business
- process model
- Formulation of an effective marketing strategy.
- Preparation of an implementation plan, for both the business processes model and
- the required infrastructure.
- Development of the necessary procedures and the implementation of the processes
- relating to operations of the game ranch business
- Implementation of actions to ensure that the game ranch will be prepared to
- commence operations using proposed new systems and procedures.
Method of Application
All applications are to be delivered to the Smart Forest Head Office on Plot No 17, Lubambe Road, Northmead, Lusaka. Alternatively, submissions can be emailed to: The envelope must clearly be marked “Expression of Interest to Conduct an Ecological Survey”
If you need further information, or have queries, please contact Smart Forest Zambia on: 0955 791 347/0979 818 96