Senior Finance Assistant
Jobs at:United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Deadline of this Job:
07 May 2022
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Monday, April 25, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Interested staff members should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS, UNHCR/AI/2020/1/Rev.2). If you have questions regarding your eligibility, you may also contact the HR Unit.
In line with the RALS, the below category of candidates are eligible to apply for internally and external advertised vacancies.
Group 1 candidates: Group 1 comprises current GS staff members holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment who, at the date of the deadline for application, are serving in the country of the vacancy at the grade of the position or one grade below or above. However, current GS staff members holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment in the country of the vacancy who apply for a position two grades above the personal grade will be considered as Group 2 applicants.
Group 2 candidates: Group 2 comprises candidates from the below categories after completion of one cumulative or continuous year of service in the country of the vacancy.
I. Current locally recruited UNHCR staff members holding a temporary appointment up to a maximum of two grades above their current positions;
II. Former locally recruited UNHCR staff members who held an indefinite or fixed-term appointment (within 2 years of separation for males and 5 years for females) up to a maximum of two grades above the last position at UNHCR;
III. National United Nations Volunteers currently working for UNHCR;
IV. National UNOPS and individual contractors currently working for UNHCR;
V. Current GS staff members holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment applying to a position in the same category two grades above the staff member¿s personal grade;
VI. Current UNHCR staff members in the International Professional category holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment applying to a GS post;
VII. Current UNHCR staff members in the NPO category holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment applying to a GS post;
VIII. Current locally recruited female staff members from other UN system Organizations holding the equivalent of an indefinite or fixed-term appointment up to a maximum of two grades above their current positions.
External candidates: External candidates are candidates who are not in Group 1 or Group 2. They must meet the essential minimum requirements of the position, candidates not citizens of the country must comply with all eligibility requirements for employment in line with the prevailing legislative prerequisites in the country.
Procedures and Eligibility
Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
Duties and Qualifications
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Finance Assistant is normally supervised by a more senior finance colleague who defines work objectives and provides regular advice and guidance. The incumbent also refers to UNHCR Manuals and relevant policy papers on financial issues.
The incumbent assists with the processing of financial transactions. S/he keeps frequent contact with staff at various levels in the office and with bank officials to exchange information.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
• Maintain financial records for project or other office accounts for which responsibility is assigned.
• Record receipts and payments, assure accuracy of computation and completeness of documents and maintain continuing status of allotments against obligations.
• Prepare recurring reports on assigned accounts, noting problems resulting from excess cost or less-than-expected receipts.
• Prepare special reports to clarify problems or as requested for other reasons.
• Calculate and compile cost estimates and projected budget requirements and assist in preparation of budget statements for area of assignment.
• Prepare routine correspondence and maintain contracts with others to discuss matters concerning accounts and related assignments.
• Maintain contacts with local banks to clarify questions pertaining to office bank accounts.
• Brief and assist new staff on basic financial procedures and requirements with respect to payments, entitlements, banking and currency provisions and other requirements relating to accounts and finance.
• Initiate correspondence to verify data, answer queries and obtain additional information on accounts and financial transactions, as required.
• Perform other related duties as required.
Certificates and/or Licenses
Accounting; Business Administration; Finance; HCR Learning Prog;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
• Organizational Awareness
• Teamwork & Collaboration
• Commitment to Continuous Learning
• Client & Result Orientation
• Analytical Thinking
• Technological Awareness
• Planning and Organizing
Please also note that English is essential for this Job Opening.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Please click here to apply.