Manager of Culture and People
Jobs at:Healthy Learners
Deadline of this Job:
22 October 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The overall purpose of the Role
The People & Culture Manager will be hands on position responsible for managing Human Resource functions. S/he will be involved in a wide range of internal initiatives, including the implementation of organizational human resource strategies, staffing plans, policies, and practices.
This new position will be responsible for the overall administration, coordination, and operation of HR functions that support the success of the organization and its strategic objectives. This will include, but is not limited to, recruitment, retention, benefits, hiring, onboarding, performance management, compliance, training and development.
A member of the Leadership Team, the People & Culture Manager will help ensure Healthy Learners remains the preferred place of employment in Zambia. S/he will report to the President and support the Vice President of Operations and Vice President of Administration to develop and implement strategies for employee recruitment, engagement, development, management, and succession.
Duties and responsibilities
Recruitment, Hiring, On-boarding, Off-boarding, and Succession Planning
• Work with the Vice-Presidents and other internal stakeholders to determine workforce needs, identify skills and competency gaps, forecast current and future talent needs, and implement strategies to identify and attract talent to meet needs.
• Manage the entire recruitment process cycle e.g. reviewing job descriptions, posting job advertisements, screening applicants, conducting job interviews/written tests, reference checks, extending job offers, onboarding, etc. Ensure recruitment processes are fair, transparent, and aligned with the organization’s policies, needs, and values
• Develop and maintain a robust talent pipeline for key roles
• Oversee and participate in onboarding and orientation for new employees; coordinate with department heads and line supervisors to provide an engaging and welcoming orientation.
• Manage and participate in exit management and interview process to ensure a positive transition for departing staff
Promote and uphold professional and standards of the official conduct of staff.
Professional Development and Performance Management
• Work with the Vice Presidents and other internal stakeholders to identify and support opportunities for employee professional development and growth;
• Implement performance management activities including ongoing feedback, documentation of performance issues, annual performance evaluations, and performance improvement plans
• Support the Vice Presidents and Department Heads to develop and implement new performance management approaches and systems.
• Provide performance management guidance to supervisors; support them in carrying out their responsibilities on personnel matters.
• Support the Vice Presidents and Department Heads in coaching, counseling, and advising staff to build capacity, promote our culture and resolve employment related matters.
• Work with the Vice Presidents and other department heads to identify and coordinate ongoing training for staff members, including annual trainings (e.g. workplace safety, sexual harassment, providing effective feedback), skills-based training, diversity and inclusion trainings, and other trainings as needed
• Support the Vice Presidents to design and implement a management training program for supervisory staff
• Monitor and evaluate the success of training programs and follow up to ensure training objectives are met
• Promote the organization’s culture and core values of ‘Humble, Hungry and Smart’ throughout the organization
• Oversee employee events and appreciation activities such as the annual retreat, social events, and group activities, tracking anniversaries, birthdays, and other milestones
• Assess and advance employee engagement and satisfaction
• Serve as HR contact for all employees; proactively engage employees to improve working relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention; communicate openly and frequently, keeping staff informed on benefit resources, organizational events, and other pertinent information
• Design and implement trainings that reinforce the core values of Healthy Learners.
• Exhibit understanding, sensitivity, and responsiveness to cultural differences present in the Healthy Learners’ service and employee population; oversee the creation and implementation of programs that build momentum for diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues; where applicable, conduct effective, thorough, and objective investigations
Human Resource Policy Administration
• Monitor budgets for recruiting, training/staff development, and benefits programs
• Maintain a comprehensive understanding of personnel policies and implement new human resource operating policies and procedures for Healthy Learners offices.
• Ensure that all administrative and human resource activities are carried out following set standards.
• Partner with internal stakeholders to review staff policies and recommend changes, additions, deletions, etc. to the HR/Admin manual and procedural documents.
• Ensure the provision of high-quality process flows and ensure that guidance and advice are effectively communicated to line managers on all aspects of HR management, policy, and practice. This includes, but is not limited to, workforce planning, job design, employment law, staff relations issues, and communication and consultation strategies.
• Provide advice and support to all employees in the interpretation of HR policies and procedures, including but not limited to, recruitment, orientation, career development, performance evaluation, disciplinary action, and separation.
• Create and maintain the main human resources file; ensuring completion of paperwork that meets regulatory requirements and the needs of Healthy Learners; complete periodic checks of salary and benefits records and correct problems timely.
• Maintain employee and workplace privacy and confidentiality.
• Create clear and concise reports
Human resources unit oversight
• Supervise staff members in the Human Resource department.
• Establish departmental goals and KPIs; review and evaluate the continuous performance of direct reports
• Ensure that all functions under supervision operate in accordance with standard practices, laws, and human resources policies and procedures.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
• Strong organizational skills.
• Proven management and project management experience
• Excellent working knowledge of HR procedures and Zambian labour laws
• Strong work ethic and strong sense of grit
• Passion, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
• Action-oriented approach to work.
• Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent representational skills.
• Ability to work under pressure with high attention to detail.
• Ability to operate as an effective tactical thinker
• Experience in working with a multicultural and diversified workforce is an added advantage.
• Experience with a fast-pace and rapidly growing company or NGO is a plus
• Strong Microsoft Excel skills and solid proficiency in other common office applications, like Adobe/Word/Outlook. Additional proficiency with Google workspace products is an added advantage
• Working knowledge and experience with business systems (such as HRMS, timekeeping, asset management, etc.) is a plus
• Passion for Healthy Learners’ Vision & Mission
• BA Degree in Management, Human Resources Management, Public Administration, or related of study from a recognized university (Master’s degree is preferred)
• Minimum of 8 years of HR experience in the above areas with increasing levels of seniority
• A member of Zambia Institute of Human Resource Management
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 96
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
(Note: Interested applicants should email their CV and 1 page cover letter to [email protected]
no later than 22nd October 2021.
All application must be addressed to;
Human Resource Manager
People and Culture Manager
Immediate Supervisor’s Title
September 22, 2021