Responsibilities of the Education Advisor
As the Education Advisor you advise on all technical aspects related to the Teacher Professional Development (TPD) activities of the USAID Let’s Read Project in Zambia. You provide TPD frameworks for the project’s interventions and guidance and support to all Provincial ECE coordinators (VVOB Staff). You ensure implementation of the reading intervention package. You design and facilitate sustainable training and coaching trajectories for ECE teachers, building on the resources of the Ministry of General Education (MoGE).
USAID Let’s Read in VVOB Zambia
The USAID Let’s Read Project is a USAID owned project, coordinated by Education Development Centre (EDC). ECE activities are implemented by VVOB, being a subcontractor. The overall goal is to improve reading outcomes of 1.4 million children attending pre-primary through grade 3, in community and government schools in five provinces within Zambia. This is done by strengthening the MoGE system with a reading intervention package and capacity building activities. Also, the school performance is improved, by tracking reading performance of young learners, and engaging parents and communities.
VVOB works very closely with the directorates Early Childhood Education (ECE), Teacher Education and Specialized Services (TESS), and Standards and Curriculum Development. The project is aligned with MoGE policies and contribute to the Capacity Development of MoGE staff at all levels.
· provide advice on the design, implementation and the evaluation of capacity development methods for professionals, on technical frameworks in pre-primary education;
· select sources of expertise and support processes of capacity building and organisational change in education partners;
· support the VVOB team, structures of the MoGE on national and decentralised levels in planning and implementation of education programmes;
· work closely together with the project coordinator, the M&E officer and the provincial ECE coaches within VVOB, and the technical, M&E and coordination team within EDC and other project partners;
· provide on-the-job mentoring and coaching for the VVOB ECE Provincial Coaches;
· for the implementation of the project, you secure cooperation and support from VVOB’s partners, you promote VVOB as a reliable partner and you represent our organisation towards external stakeholders in your field;
· contribute to internal and external knowledge development and learning, by systematise lessons learned and sharing pro-actively lessons learned between partners, colleagues and other VVOB country teams;
· cooperate actively in the search for new sources of donorship for VVOB and in the preparation of project proposals;
· report to the Country Programmes Manager
Your expertise and experience
· Master’s degree in education (or similar), with at least 5 years of working experience in capacity building of teachers, school leaders or teacher colleges;
· At least 2 years working experience in the international development sector, preferably in Africa;
· Theoretical, practical knowledge and experience with play-based learning in formal education systems;
· Knowledge and experience with transition processes from ECE to primary education;
· Knowledge and experience with developing and implementing professional development trajectories for a wide range of education stakeholders (teachers, school leaders, officials, …);
· Mastering the English language;
· Able and willing to travel frequently within Zambia for short periods of time.
· You are open to develop yourself further towards more managing or strategic positions after this experience
To apply for this job please visit www.vvob.org .