Director of Operations
Jobs at:Zambia Environmental Management Agency (ZEMA)
Deadline of this Job:
27 July 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Monday, July 19, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Zambia Environmental Management Agency
Director of Operations
Organisation: Zambia Environmental Management Agency
Sector: Environmental Protection
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Reporting to: Director General
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
The Zambia Environmental Management Agency (ZEMA) is a statutory body established under the Environmental Management Act ("EMA) No. 12 of 2011 whose mandate is to do all such things as are necessary to ensure the sustainable management of natural resources and protection of the environment, and the prevention and control of pollution.
ZEMA plays a regulatory, advisory, consultative, monitoring, co-ordination and information dissemination role on all environmental matters in Zambia. Being an equal opportunity employer, ZEMA IS inviting applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for the position of Director - Operations.
Primary Job Purpose
The Director Operations is responsible for the overall management of the Inspectorate Function of the Agency in line with the EMA as well as the policies and Strategic Plan of the Agency. The Director of Operations is also expected to foster strong inter-organizational, interdepartmental as well as interpersonal relations and ensure to align the Operations Directorate with the Agency's strategic objectives.
Main Duties and Accountabilities
• Formulate and ensure implementation of Directorate Strategies, Annual Work Plans and budgets to foster environmental management;
• Administer, monitor and enforce measures for the protection of the environment and prevention of pollution;
• Overall responsibility of processing environmental permits and enforcement notices;
• Management of environmental emergencies, investigations and inspections,
• Facilitate and attend the environmental assessments committee of the board and other meetings as required;
• Prepare accurate monthly directorate reports and carry out performance reviews for the directorate;
• Carry out human resource development in the directorate to ensure availability of skilled staff to perform required functions,
• Manage and encourage staff, optimize their outputs and effectively manage relationships in order to achieve organizational goals;
• Ensure that individual performance targets, skills assessment and development targets are set and appraisals undertaken with the supervisor in accordance with the performance management timelines in order to enhance individual and organizational performance; and
• Perform other duties as may be assigned.
• All work to be evaluated for compliance with technical standards, appropriateness and conformity to organizational policies;
• Receive general direction only regarding work responsibilities; and
• Exercise discretion and judgement in interpreting rules and guidelines.
• Be available to undertake inspections of sensitive facilities;
• Provide technical advice and/or guidance to the agency; and
• Implement delegated functions from the office of the director general
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
• Grade 12/Form VO-level certificate including Mathematics and English;
• Bachelor of Science degree in Natural Sciences, Engineering, Metallurgy or relevant field;
• Master’s Degree in Science/Engineering/Business Studies, and
• Minimum 10 years' experience at senior Management level.
The candidate must be a Zambian who is a self-starter, goal-oriented person with demonstrated ability to perform with minimum supervision. The candidate must also be Computer literate, exercise high levels of Integrity and must be willing to work long hours from time to time.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Closing date for receiving applications is 27 July, 2021
All applications must be dearly marked " APPLICATION FOR THE POSITION OF DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS ”
Interested candidates may send their application letters, copies of relevant academic certificates and Curriculum Vitae indicating contact telephone numbers and contact details of traceable referees to the address below:
The Director General
Zambia Management Agency
P.O. Box 35131, LUSAKA .
Email applications must be directed to: [email protected]