Jobs at:The British Government
Deadline of this Job:
30 May 2022
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Communication Officer AO (02/22 LUS)
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Policy & Political roles)
Communications, Press and Media
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
Support the delivery of the FCDO country business plan for Zambia, with particular responsibility for Digital Diplomacy, messaging and media presence at High Commission events, News Monitoring, Public Enquiries.
Roles and responsibilities:
Digital Diplomacy including website Management and Development: 30%
• Drive the High Commission’s digital communications work and carry out digital diplomacy for all sections operating in the High Commission, incorporating all aspects of the UK’s role in Zambia.
• Work across teams (Economic Development, Governance and Human Development) to identify suitable stories and announcements for public messaging, based on a coordinated communication plan that supports our country business plan
• Ensure website and social media content is innovative, engaging, accurate and relevant to our audience.
• Working alongside High Commission Project Officers, ensure all activity includes opportunities to promote messages and engage with audiences.
• Provide oversight and leadership across all UK government departments active in Zambia, to ensure coordinated messaging and publicity
• Identify and deliver on opportunities to amplify High Commission/UK Government messages, including identifying new ways to engage with audience members.
• Provide regular feedback to Senior Management to report progress on communication activities and responses
Media monitoring 15%
• Produce daily round-ups of press articles of relevance to British High Commission and follow up on articles of particular interest.
• Maintain up-to-date contacts list of key press/media, civil society organisations and political contacts.
Events management, sponsored visits and handling of general correspondence from the public: 20%
• Provide Press and Political Affairs assistance as required for British High Commission events,, sponsored visits, as well as any inward official VIP visits etc.
Project Management including public diplomacy associated with projects: 20%
• Strategy design alongside the Head of Press, Public and Political Affairs
• Implementation of projects
• Monitoring and evaluation of projects
• Financial reporting
Resources managed 15% (staff and expenditure):
Some direction over the High Commission budget for communications and events. Requirement to adequately budget and report on spend.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
• Degree and/or at least 1 year of experience in communications, journalism, or a relevant subject. - Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premiere Pro.
• Ability to use social media monitoring platforms such as Hootsuite and Sprout Social.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
Experience in delivering a communications campaign
Changing and Improving, Delivering at Pace, Communicating and Influencing
2 June 2022
Administrative Officer (AO)
Type of Position
Duration of Post
Type of Post
British High Commission
1 July 2022
• Due to COVID 19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimize any disruption.
• Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
• Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
• The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
• Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Lusaka are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Zambia.
• It is essential that the applicants already have the right to live and work in Zambia without the need to apply for a work permit
• Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
• Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
• Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
• Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Country Based Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Click here to Apply Now