The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of the Federal Republic of Germany for technical and international cooperation. It offers flexible, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. Most of the work of GIZ is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries as well as public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include the European Commission, the United Nations, the World Bank and governments of other countries.
GIZ Office Zambia provides financial and administrative services to GIZ projects and programmes in Zambia as well as other countries in the region. In order to meet the growing needs of its expanding portfolio, GIZ is seeking a suitable candidate for the following position:
Main tasks and responsibilities:
Ensuring that financial administration functions well in accordance with GIZ rules and regulations
Effectively coordinating with the staff of the Finance Team at GIZ Head Office and the staff of the Finance Unit of GIZ Office Zambia and the projects
Providing general support to the tasks of the Head of Administration and Finance
- Sending and posting vouchers in WINPACCS and being responsible for the monthly bank reconciliation for the project journals
- Checking the vouchers and receipts submitted by the projects/programmes for completeness and allocation to cost units and categories and correcting these where necessary
- Monitoring real accounts (payables, receivables, etc.) and regularly reporting to the Finance Manager
- Reporting large discrepancies in the journals to the Finance Manager and the Head of Administration and Finance
- Preparing monthly error sheets for all projects and following up monthly completion reports
- General services for GIZ assisted projects/programmes:
- Carrying out accounting tasks using WINPACCS accounting software and preparing monthly end-of-period (EOP) accounts and bank reconciliation sheets
- Submitting the EOP accounts from the project accounting, cash books and account balance vouchers (through or from WINPACCS) to the officer responsible for the contract and cooperation and/or the Country Director and forwarding them to GIZ Head Office in accordance with the deadlines
Additional duties and tasks:
- Reporting all problems related to financial administration and compliance without delay
- Being responsible for filing and the labelling of files in accordance with GIZ rules and regulations
- Substituting the Accountant (Salary Band 4) during his/her absence
- Performing other duties and tasks at the request of management
Qualifications and requirements:
- Must be a Licentiate member (minimum) of the Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA)
- Must be qualified CA Level 2 (minimum) or equivalent
- At least 3 years’ professional experience in accounting or a comparable position
- Other knowledge, additional competences:
- In depth knowledge of accounting software
- Good working knowledge of ICT technology (i.e. related software, telephone, fax, email, internet, etc.) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality in the handling of data and information
- Fluency in English, both written and oral
- Must be highly adaptable, proactive and have the ability to work to tight deadlines
- Excellent numerical and communication skills
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures to be agreed with management
Method of Application
The successful candidate will be expected to start full-time employment with GIZ as soon as possible. Interested candidates must send their CVs and cover letters, electronically, quoting the reference GIZ_OFFACC4 in the subject line GIZ will only assess applications which meet the following criteria:
Cover letters must be sent in MS Word format, with using font type Arial, size 11. In the first paragraph, please outline your motivation for applying for the position. In the second paragraph, outline your experience with accounting and administration.
CVs must not exceed three (3) pages and must be submitted in PDF.
Certificates, qualifications, etc. must not be attached to the application.
Traceable references of previous engagements must be provided.
Please note that only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. GIZ is committed to be an equal opportunities employer, therefore, women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.